View Single Post
Old
08-22-2011, 11:35 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Again, none of us knows exactly what transpired. His motives might have been pure or they might have been motivated by sheer greed. We just don't know. We like to think that we know. Being a fan of a team has changed: with boards like this, writers tweeting from practice, blogs, 24/7 sports radio (not that they cover the Rangers but the analogy applies to other teams and sports), regional sports networks, coaches conferences after games, etc., we all like to think that we know that is going on behind the scene. We try to read between the lines when things are said. We bring our own experiences: as kids playing sports, as adults still playing in adult leagues, as perhaps high school or college athletes, as regular people who have or are working in team situations in non-athletic professions, etc., to our own personal analysis of our teams and its players. But in reality, we just don't know.

I have my own take, just as valid as anyone else's, of the situation. I am as passionate about hockey and the Rangers as anyone else but I also try to be objective and understand the human aspect of the game: a game played by multi-faceted and flawed individuals who, though they might be world class athletes, are no different than anyone else when it comes to every other aspect of their lives.

I see a conflicted player who hemmed and hawed all summer long, vacillating constantly as to what he wanted to do, what he should do, and eventually deciding that there was no choice as to what he had to do.

I bring my own experiences, applicable or not, to the situation. A few years ago I retired after a long successful career in a highly skilled job I loved and that I was pretty well paid for. Money was not an issue: my pension was equal to my salary. Job conditions had changed, and it was evident to me (in a way somewhat analogous to an injury) that I could not do the job in the manner I had been accustomed to.

Reaching that decision to retire was not easy; in many ways it was torturous. One day I was definitely retiring, the next day I was absolutely returning. Some days, when things were going well, I couldn't see myself not staying, other days, I could not see how I could stay under these conditions. Back and forth, back and forth it went. Eventually I made the choice to pull the plug. I also did think about the fact that for my salary, the organization I worked for could have hired three younger workers. But honestly, this choice was about me, my circumstances, my family, and my life. I dare say that few of you, in a similar situation, would make a choice that put you at a disadvantage monetarily or otherwise.

Right or wrong, that is how I see what transpired this summer. Drury wasn't sure as to what he wanted to do. Should he retire or attempt to return? Did he want to be bought out? If he was bought out, could he hook up with another team? If he retired, what was he going to do with his time? Was he hurt badly enough to go on the long-term injured list? What did his doctors think? His rehab probably had good days that convinced him he could continue to play and bad days that depressed him terribly. He likely had pain free days and days that he hurt badly. I think that eventually things coalesced in his mind, and he reached the decision that he had no choice but to retire. He could not have made that decision in June or July. Only in August, after much internal back and forth, could be make a final choice. All Drury showed in this is that he is human, no different from each of us. It had nothing to do with his personality on the ice, "screwing" the Rangers, or other maliciousness attributed to him by some on these boards.

As I've said many times, until we see players as people, complex and many-sided, and not as stick figures in a fantasy, video game, we are missing much of the enjoyment (and frustration) of being a fan. These guys might be world class athletes and genetic freaks, but they are no different from any of us here.
I'm facing a somewhat similar situation now Al but I can hardly wait for it to be over. A lot of downsizing and a lot of people needlessly hurt. The worst--A close friend was all the way across the country sitting in a hospital room in the San Diego area--his son a 2nd hitch Marine in the EOD program in a coma with no frontal brain activity and his (my) employer was hassling him over relocating and hassling him over his FMLA claim. That was a year and a half ago and of course the kid is dead but I think it was then that I decided I no longer wanted to work for these *******s and I'm just counting the days down of which there are 770 days left before I meet the minimum requirements for retirement w/o an early out in the meantime. Not going to have a pension that matches what we make now but we will do okay. In some respects I almost feel like I'm in the way of someone who is really going to need the job anyway.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote