Thread: AVs History
View Single Post
Old
08-22-2011, 03:35 PM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
Sakic played 7 seasons with Quebec, while Forsberg only had to endure 1 on that awful team. Sakic was -102 in his first 3 years, even though he had 110G-163A-273P during that span.

Also helps that in 2002-2003, Forsberg was +52, playing on a line with Hejduk and Tanguay that like broke every line scoring record, while Sakic only played 58 games and was +4.

If you take +/- from start of Avs existence to the lockout year, Sakic was +129, while Forsberg was +190 .. Forsberg +61 better, and only +13 better during those years if you don't include the 2002-2003 season.
Joe also seemed to get stuck with the tougher assignment. I remember the 01 finals where it was almost always Joes line out there against the Devils Sykora-Arnott-Elias line while Peter got more favorable matchups that would let him focus on his incredible offensive gifts. I think they were a perfect compliment that way, Peter was there to use his marvelous offensive prowess while Joe was there to just out play other elite players leaving Peter those better oppurtunities to really make the most of them. That's why I'm excited that Staz and Radar are such focus defensive players. With a smart offense and cycling game those two lines could really hold down opponents toughest lines letting Duchene play with some more offensive players like Mueller and Hejduk/Hishon to go in for the kill. The sweet thing for us is Staz has that kind of intelligent offensive game where he can create chances even with less purely skilled guys like Jones, galiardi and hopefully soon Landeskog. Radar starting to get more comfortable with the puck is also a great thing, if he ends up excelling in between Galiardi and Kobasew, Lindstrom or Winnik I could see that line becoming extremely good at cycling the puck around the offensive end and maintaining possession to give our more potent lines more great chances.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote