Old
08-22-2011, 07:03 PM
HockeyFan67

vCash: 500
Borkowski's back in Colts' fold

By Todd Hambleton, thambleton@standard-freeholder.com

Posted 35 minutes ago

CORNWALL - He's back.

So opposing goalies in the CCHL, beware.

Jr. A Colts forward Mike Borkowski sounds like a player who's going to be on a mission, in 2011-2012.

"We came so close last year, to within a couple of games (of a championship),'' Borkowski said. "I really want another crack at it - from Day l, (winning a title) is our goal.''

It was an, um, memorable 2010-2011 season for Borkowski, who suffered that mid-season broken ankle injury and was limited to 14 goals in 41 games, all with the Cumberland Grads squad he captained.

Acquired by Cornwall at the January trade deadline and unavailable to play until the first playoff round with Kanata, Borkowski had that collision with goaltender Scott Shackell that became big news in the region.

Borkowski's name was quickly cleared, and he had a solid playoff for the Colts, but his playing rights returned to Cumberland at season's end.

Colts general manager/coach Ian MacInnis finally was able to work out a deal with the Grads just before training camp, a deal that includes Cumberland getting Cornwall's first-round picks in 2014 and 2015.

"I'm happy,'' MacInnis said. "Without a doubt, he's going to be a very key guy for us this year. We're expecting him to be very good.''

Borkowski on the camp roster is the left-winger on a line with Tylor Spink and Tyson Spink.

Nothing against the Grads, but he's thrilled too, that the deal to come back to Cornwall finally got done.

"I had two-and-a-half very good years in Cumberland,'' Borkowski said.

"But in terms of (developing as a player), it's a great situation here. . . it was a great situation here last year - Ian was very supportive (during the ankle injury rehab).''

As for Shackell episode, Borkowski has put it far behind him.

"You move on from stuff like that pretty fast, I know I did,'' Borkowski said. "It was definitely a lot to handle (at the time). But my family, and Cornwall, was very supportive.

"I'm happy it got sorted out as soon as it did. People (in the junior hockey community) found out pretty quickly that I'm not that kind of player.''

This season, Borkowski hopes, he can avoid injury, and focus only on helping the Colts win a title in his final year of junior A play before joining the NCAA Division l Colgate Raiders.

"I'm definitely hoping it'll be a lot less hectic season,'' he said.

HockeyFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote