View Single Post
Old
08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
That "random point of view" would be pragmatism. You're acting like bluechip moves are common and that flipping our defensive prospects for forward prospects would have been easy. Your "creativity" here requires not only that to happen, but for Poile to have been able to pull it off in a short period of time to get Richards or Carter. Once again, for this set of deals we did not have the right assets to pull it off.

Philly wanted forwards with a certain set of characteristics. We didn't have them, still don't have them, nor does it appear there was any sort of time to pull off the type of asset flipping you're entire concept depends upon. I'm trying to remember the last time a three way deal didn't take weeks to complete.

There are still plenty of teams that could use the type of prospects we do have in the organization. Because there are other teams that could use them, doesn't mean that Philly wanted or needed them.
Fair point. I concede the majority of your statements. I think Carter was available for a reasonable sort of time. At least, rumors would indicate that he was semi-available for part of the regular season and definitely available once the off-season began. Richards - no idea. Regardless, I think your viewpoint is more than fair. And again, I'm not saying that it is an easy set of circumstances. I am merely saying that their is the potential to overcome obstacles, but it would require a very active and creative GM. Paul Holmgren is a major example of a pro-active GM that gets what he wants (even if some fans would argue at cost to the team).

I guess my point is merely that at some point, regardless of the circumstances, Poile has to get something done, or he will be judged accordingly - fair or unfair.