View Single Post
Old
08-22-2011, 09:06 PM
TheJudge

vCash: 500
Good post TDMM. Here's to a good series.

I'm not going to post who I feel has the advantage; everyone is inherently biased towards their own team. Instead, I'll present my take, hope people read it, and let them come to their own conclusions.

So, in response, a bit of food for thought:

Coaches

When comparing the coaches, it is important to consider the quality of competition, and the quality of their rosters. Specifically Tippett in Phoenix was able to take a rather mediocre roster and turn the team into a playoff threat (in the highly competitive Western Conference and Pacific division). He has done nothing but win everywhere he's gone, and made teams play above the sum of their parts.

Julien has a Stanley Cup on Tippett, but he accomplished this with a much stronger roster than anything Tippett has had access to. Infact, it can be argued his strong teams often underachieved - especially when the chips were down.

For example, Julien was fired heading into the playoffs when he failed to prepare a stacked New Jersey team:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Lamoriello
"I don't think we're at a point of being ready both mentally and [physically] to play the way that is necessary going into the playoffs," said Lamoriello on the Julien firing.
Julien gets his teams to play well defensively, but often at the expense of offense. Tippetts system is frustrating to opponents, but allows the players to be effective in all three zones.

Goaltenders

When comparing any player through different eras, you need to be aware of the circumstances each player played in. Playoff success in the original 6 was significantly easier to achieve than it was (is) in the modern game. It's a simple game of numbers: 33.3% of NHL goaltenders made the stanley cup final each year in the original six; 16.7% of NHL goaltenders won the cup each year in the O6. When you factor in the greater propensity for dynasties with less teams, a few good playoff runs in a row becomes even more common.

Prior to his time in North America, Lindbergh was strong enough to lead his nation in the 1980 Olympics. Lindbergh needed to overcome the European stigma as one of the first to make the leap to North America. In response to the challenge, he dominated the AHL leaderboard and awards ceremony (AHL First All-Star Team, Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award (fewest goals against - AHL), Dudley "Red" Garrett Memorial Award (Rookie of the Year - AHL), Les Cunningham Award (MVP - AHL) (1981)). His NHL exploits have been discussed already.

More to follow..

Last edited by TheJudge: 08-22-2011 at 09:39 PM.
TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote