View Single Post
Old
08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
  #61
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Leblanc was Cameron's go to guy if a line needed a spark plug. He wasn't changing line because he was bad with that particuliar line...
That's how I saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Leblanc's versatility is exactly why he played in so many different situations - not because the coaching staff couldn't find a place for him. People should probably stop expecting offensive flair and big numbers from him - it's not going to be his game. I think the best we can hope for is a 70 point, two-way centreman like Plekanec. Which isn't bad at all.
Agreed, they used Leblanc in different roles because they knew they could. I would be thrilled if he hit anything close to 70 pts, would be great since last season we had 1 player get more then 47 pts (wow our offense stunk, yikes). I really like his offensive skills but I see him more as a 50+ two way type that can play in all situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
What's stopping him from playing with the Dogs until February, getting his first taste of pro action, and then getting sent down to Shawi for the cup run?
I don't see why the Habs would consider doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Saying he was top 5 at the last WJC is a mythe (unless you are talking stats wise), the kid was good along the board and was cycling the puck rather well but thats it, was struggling with his puckhandling skills if you compared him to the other players and wasnt clicking very well offensively with his linemates.. Another year in the Q wouldnt be a bad idea since he spent about the whole last season playing with a shoulder injury, so the kid didnt develop properly in that year, was also playing for a clown using a passive trap as a system.. An healthy season in the Q dominating the league and having an opportunity to shine at the mem cup is definitely a ligit option IMO.
I don't think it was a myth, I liked what I saw from him at the wjc's. He put up points and everywhere he plays he's among the top scorers on his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Lets take a look at history. Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterburg, Tomas Plekanec didnt play regularly in the NHL till they were 23, it didn't ruin their development.
What does that have to do with playing in the CHL as an overager? You are talking about 3 Euros, we are talking about our draft picks playing in the CHL as an overager. Why do you think the Habs never do this, they rarely ever send a draft pick back to the CHL as overagers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Now lets also think about the talented players who took the shortcut to the NHL, Guillaime Latendresse, Sergei Kostitsyn, Max Pacioretty. They all had problems, maturity and being rushed to the NHL.
You can't compare Leblanc with Lats, Kostitsyn or Pac, each are their own players and just because some players are mature or have problems being rushed to the NHL, doesn't mean others will.


Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
MaxPac is the perfect example, he couldn't produce against tougher competition, it wasonly after he was sent down to play against weaker talent and with an amazing player (DD) centering him that he
was able to develop. He himself said playing in the
AHL (a weaker league) was better for him.
Pacioretty went from the USHS, to the USHL, to the NCAA to the NHL from the age of 17 to the age of 20. That is a rapid advance since he started the year in Hamilton as a 19 year old (didn't turn 20 until about 7 weeks into the season) So you can't really compare him to anyone since it's very rare to see someone go from playing in the USHS at 17 to being in the NHL just 3 years later.

He also never said playing in the AHL was better for him. He said if there wasn't a role for him in the top 6 with the Habs, he would rather stay in the AHL as he felt he developed more under the Randy's.

http://www.habsindepth.com/content/p...ather-stay-ahl




Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
David Dashernais played in the CHL as an overager, it didn't ruin him. In fact I think it probably helped develop his hockey IQ. Playing against comparable / slightly less talent gives you the opportunity to grow mentally, you can learn to read plays before they unfold. Whereas playing in the AHL would develop his instincts compared to his hockey IQ. It would involve him learning to react to the faster competition.
Who's to say that Desharnais wouldn't be a step ahead of where he is now had he been drafted by us and went to the ECHL as a 20 year old?

But what makes you say it probably helped develop his hockey IQ to play as an overager? As an 18/19 year old he had 215 pts in 131 games. He had more assists and points as a 19 year old then he did as an overager (granted he was on a much better team as a 19 year old). His first year in the Q he was 4th on the team in points, clearly he was a skilled player from the get go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
That's just how I see it from a mental / development standpoint. You can also compare how DD took the slow route and was able to out produce Lars Eller in half as many games. I think another year in the AHL wouldn't have hurt Eller last year. But 2 years ago I was calling for Patches to be in the AHL andit turned out that playing against weaker competition helped his game.
Not really fair to compare the 24 year old Desharnais to the 21 year old Eller who before the start of the season had only 1 year of playing North American hockey.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote