View Single Post
Old
08-23-2011, 03:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I can't remember if it was you or someone else, or even if it was on HF or the main boards, but someone brought up the very limited number of 30 goal scorers in the league. 29 last year to be exact. Not enough to have one per team, and 7 those have only hit 30 or more goals once (Stafford, Skinner [rookie], Kulemin, Couture [rookie], Grabner, Lucic, Kesler). Anaheim had three of those players. Tampa had two. Toronto had two. Vancouver had two. San Jose had two. Philly had two, one of which was traded. Chicago had two. Etc.

All of the thirty goal scorers from last year were spread out over 17 teams. One of them was traded, but to a team which already had a 30 goal scorer (Carter traded to Columbus who had Nash). That leaves you with 13 teams who don't have, and would probably like to have, a 30+ goal scorer. 8 of the 17 teams with at least one only have one, so trading for that player is very unlikely.

In 2009-2010 there were only 24 players with 30 or more goals, and one of them played for us. In 2008-2009 there were 39. 28 in 2007-2008. It really is a tough asset to get, and it gets even tougher when you exclude the untouchables (Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Perry, Skinner, Couture, Zetterberg, Sedins, Stamkos, Kesler).

Honestly, looking at it, it seems like AK is the only realistic option right now.
There lies the problem. Point per game is a pipe dream for most teams in the league ... 30g scorers are a rarity ... yet those are the facts that fans have stuck in their minds. Realistically a 60-70 pt guy who nets 25+ is an upper tier forward when he can do it consistently. AK is a viable option, but, not the flashy guy the fan base clamors for. I'd love it if Dallas was in shambles and let Benn go ... but that will not happen.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote