View Single Post
Old
08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
There's a lot of talk about Poile needing to do "something." "Something" is dangerous ... "something" is Vacicek ... "something" is V2 ... "something" is making a move just for the sake of making the move and the latest rumblings are that the more expensive and flashy, the better.

We need a legit top line winger who at least knows that there is such a thing as playing defense even if they aren't great at it. They have to put forth some effort. They also can't cost more than about $4-5mil or so if we're going to lock up the big three and keep most of the rest of the top six. There is the right move out there somewhere. I haven't figured out who it is or what we give up to get them ... but that move is out there. Doing "something" could very well make doing the right thing impossible.

Arm chair GM is easy ... but notice how few of us have gotten a call from a team with a job offer to do it for real.
Here is a list of forwards making between $4m and $6.5m (I figure we can send some salary back in a trade). Wingers first, since that's the biggest need, and then centers.

Left Wings (most expensive to least)
Ryan Smyth (EDM)
Daniel Sedin (VAN)
Henrik Zetterberg (DET)
Patrik Elias (NJD)
Zach Parise (NJD)
Martin Havlat (SJS)
Kristian Huselius (CLB)
Ryan Malone (TBL)
Erik Cole (MTL)
Ville Leino (BUF)
Andrew Ladd (WPG)
Milan Michalek (OTT)
Loui Eriksson (DAL)
David Booth (FLA)
Dustin Penner (LAK)
Brenden Morrow (DAL)
Milan Lucic (BOS)
Jason Blake (ANA)

Right Wings
Daniel Briere (PHI)
Patrick Kane (CHI)
Martin St Louis (TBL)
Corey Perry (ANA)
Jason Pominville (BUF)
Marian Hossa (CHI)
Bobby Ryan (ANA)
Brian Rolston (NYI)
Brian Gionta (MTL)
Daniel Alfredsson (OTT)
Shane Doan (PHX)
Ryan Callahan (NYR)
Joffrey Lupul (TOR)
Scott Hartnell (PHI)
Ales Hemsky (EDM)
Drew Stafford (BUF)

Ok there are a ******** of centers, so here is the site I'm using. Sorry, but I just don't feel like typing all of the names out since I don't think this will lead to much of a discussion anyway, though I hope it does. If I get some time tomorrow I'll come back and add more (like goals, assists, real salary, etc)

http://nhlnumbers.com/players?positi...ort=&year=2012

The numbers I used were based on cap hit, and not actual salary. Anyone who wants to toss around trade ideas should first look at the other team's needs (i.e. Montreal needs offense, Toronto needs offense, SJS needs bottom six depth, ANA needs bottom six depth, etc), then make a pitch that at least tries to get the value right, and then check the actual salary of the player.

One team that is interesting is Ottawa. They are obviously going to be going through a rebuild, and could use some of the young players we have. I don't know that I'd be interested in getting Alfredsson unless we don't have to give up a lot. The guy is nearly 40. Spezza is a great center, but he also makes $8m in real salary over the next two seasons. Michalek has fallen off.

edit: something else to look at in a player is PP production. If we can get a forward who is able to produce on the PP our offense all of the sudden becomes much scarier.

Last edited by TMI: 08-23-2011 at 06:21 PM.
TMI is online now   Reply With Quote