Thread: Rolston
View Single Post
Old
10-23-2003, 12:48 PM
GA

vCash: 500
I actually kind of like having Patty (or other up & coming centers) on the wing if we already have others to fill the center spot. The center normally has a good deal more responsibility than the wingers, so it can be easier just focus on getting used to this level focusing on the basics. Basically, I think it's just a way to "ease" a guy into the league, letting him get adjusted to the speed, physicality, etc. & feeling comfortable before adding more responsibility. The Avs have done this for years with their younger guys...like Drury, Reinprecht, Tanguay, etc. I also think that you can do it for too long though. Granted I havn't really watched most of those guys all that close the last couple years (except when Bourque was there), but it seems like at least Tanguay & Reinprecht (maybe others) haven't been as effective/comfortable in the middle as they could have been (and even Drury, though he still seems to do ok when he is played there). Then again, these Av guys ended up on the wing for multiple years (& tanguay never went back), not just during their development, since none were about to unseat Sakic or Forseberg.