View Single Post
Old
08-24-2011, 03:08 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Ok. So how do we make a trade work for AK, Little, or Bailey? That's what I'm wanting discussed in here. It's definitely a start to get names put out there, but it isn't as simple as wanting a player. A deal has to get done to get that player.

Kostitsyn hasn't yet said he wants out of Montreal, and Montreal finished last season with the same G/G% as we did. If he does decide to want out then he would be available, but if they are giving up a top six forward between now and the deadline they are dealing from an area of weakness. I think getting AK is very possible next summer, but short of him pulling a Randy Moss or Montreal falling completely out of the play off race before February I just don't see a trade. It'd be nice, though.

Bryan Little is in a similar boat without the personality question marks. He's a young, good forward on a team that, while finishing 14th in total offense, isn't in a position to give up good, young players. Especially cheap ones. They would be interested in some of our defensive prospects, but it just seems like it would take a pretty big overpayment to get him.

Bailey is interesting, though I think obtaining him would be tough for the same reasons as obtaining Little would be tough. NYI is still in rebuild mode, but I don't think they will be for much longer. They have some pretty good, young defensemen.

What we have to offer right now is likely something like this, and keep in mind not all of these players are available for just any deal: Wilson, Blum, Geoffrion, Halischuk, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Watson, Beck, Budish, Latta, and picks.

To get AK before the season starts I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal asks for Wilson, as they are in a similar position as we are in terms of holes needing to be filled. To get Little I think Winnipeg would ask for Blum or maybe two of Josi/Ellis/Ekholm, as they will be needing young, cheap talent and defense seems to be their biggest weakness. To get Bailey I think NYI would be interested in some bottom six depth and picks, but as SLake pointed out we could strengthen our bottom six and find the scoring we're looking for.

I think Bailey is the most likely of those three named. We have the pieces necessary, but is he the player?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote