View Single Post
Old
10-04-2005, 10:08 PM
CHareth

vCash: 500
I loved the original Battlestar Galactica as a kid, but when I watch it now it's utterly painful (except for the opening music score, the Viper launch sequences and the babes, a la Maren Jensen and a young Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman). The new show is one of the best dramas I've seen since Oz and makes the original look even sillier. I find it kind of funny that some of the diehard fans of the original (you know, the still living in their parents' basements types) strongly opposed (and still oppose) the new show. Some people are just idiots. This new series is not without its flaws, but overall it is really good. It's not often you see a show that cares about its stories in this manner. The post 9/11 influence is pretty evident in some of these episodes, but there is no political preachiness about any of it.

As I watch the series, the darkness of it doesn't seem to let up. You can almost sense that the apocalyptic undercurrent of the show is depressing the actors - not just the fictional fleet or even the audience - which I find good in a way, as some of the actors are weak and could use some edge to their acting. So far, I like the darkness and grit of the show, but I imagine that the depressing storyline will depress audiences in the long run. That would be a shame because it really is an excellent drama.

A few weak points. The casting of a woman as Starbuck (in the original 70s version, Starbuck was a womanizing boozer and gambler) caused plenty of outrage among the parents' basement gang. It doesn't bother me one bit, except that the actress who now plays Starbuck is pretty lousy at times. It's when she tries to mimic other "macho" performances that she becomes entirely unbelievable and painful to watch. The scenes where she chomps on cigars like the old Starbuck did or struts around as a cocky cool guy with the leather aviator jacket and sunglasses a la Tom Cruise in Top Gun is just incredibly annoying. Give me a frackin' break. Nobody is buying the tough guy routine. When she is not overdoing it with the macho act, she is otherwise very good in the role. The new Boomer, on the other hand, just sucks throughout. She really needs some acting lessons, but even those wouldn't help make her more believable as a military aircraft pilot. She was miscast, in my opinion. Lee Adama was also miscast, as he is actually wussier than the original Apollo, if you can believe it. I don't know if the new show tried to get more women into these roles on purpose to counterbalance some of the male-chauvanist stereotypes of the old show, but if so, then I have to wonder why the attractive Asian and Black women have to get white male love interests in the new show or why the evil traitor Baltar is - surprise - an Englishman. Some stereotypes die hard, I guess.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote