Thread: Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund
View Single Post
Old
08-24-2011, 10:39 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
I'm sure many have already seen this.. but I know quite a few posters here don't leave the Minnesota board on here...

This was a great post putting into perspective Granlund's accomplishment as a 19yro on Finland's national team at the World Championships... this was posted in the Toronto thread where they thought they could offer kibble for our future star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malurous View Post
The teenager world champions concept caught my interest and I looked into it a bit as I figured that the mentioned Forsberg (who was actually still 18 and had six points in eight games when he won it in 1992), Toews and Granlund probably aren't the only ones. Other than Forsberg, I looked at the last twelve years.

2011 - Mikael Granlund 9. 2+7=9 (19)
2007 - Jonathan Toews 9. 2+5=7 (19), Jordan Staal 9. 0+2=2 (18)
2006 - Nicklas Backstrom 4. 0+0=0 (18) (While he didn't play many games, he apparently played with Zetterberg and Franzen when he did and failed to produce)
2004 - Patrice Bergeron 9. 1+0=1 (18)
2003 - Jay Bouwmeester 9. 3+4=7 (19)
2000 - Martin Havlat 9. 2+1=3 (19)

So, seven players in twelve years, three of them (Bouwmeester, Toews, Granlund) able/in position to make a difference. Bouwmeester is definitely the best of the bunch here as far as tournament performance goes, finishing second in d-man scoring and being the only one with awards (best defenceman, all-star d-man), but it's hard not to place Granlund second. Most points of these players, second-highest scorer on his team (Bouwmeester is next as t-3rd, Toews 7th), eighth in tournament scoring (Bouwmeester t-18th, Toews t-30th).

While I'm not sure how much one should read into the World Championship (which is pretty much why I looked into this, trying to put Granlund's accomplishments there into perspective), I must say I'm impressed by both the quality and the (lack of) quantity. Before Granlund, every single player that's joined this "club" in the last twelve years has gone on to become at least a very good NHLer and most are star players, possibly all depending on how you define a star player. Not one has failed. Here's hoping Granlund isn't the first one.