View Single Post
Old
08-25-2011, 11:22 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
BR...a couple of points

1. Has there ever been a time where you didnt wanted to see more physical play from the Caps? kidding

2. My initial thinking is that the Caps are going to less hybrid their styles of the past two seasons into one style than play both styles when situations require. Meaning I think the run and gun Caps return to a great degree, but after securing a good lead or late lead that instead of looking to create seperation they revert to last season and choke off the opposition and close them out.

With a continued strong pk, you'd think the 09-10 offensive juggernaut that pounced on teams in first periods would be brutal to play against when after establishing a lead they then became last season's team that gave up next to nothing.

3. don't jump to the conclusion that vokoun is a "A vet goalie who you don't need to protect or shield". there is very little evidence of that on his resume. it may be true, but both nashville and florida during his tenures were teams that played defense first and protecting him against prime scoring chances was their first priority.

i have said previous that i thought jose theodore did well with the capitals because he was a very good jailbreak goalie. he was less skill against a strong "half court" offense.
vokoun didnt have to deal with many jailbreaks in florida or nashville. just consistant half court pressure playing for teams that had the puck in their own end more often than in their offensive end.

to say vokoun is an elite level jail break goalie to back up a run and gun team or a proven playoff winner is a complete misread of this player's value and false.

4. you would have to think this team finishes first in the east again. they might as well. a 1 seed comes with that pressure again, but at this point if they struggle enough in the regular season not to finish first, there will be enough pressure created by whatever problems slow them down to equal or surpass the pressure of being first again.

frankly, if ovechkin and backstrom return to their career averages and johansson, carlson and alzner dont have 2nd season regression, i am not sure how any nhl east teams beats them in the regular season standings.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote