View Single Post
Old
08-25-2011, 06:13 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You're just another of those '' I don't understand what a goon actually does, so I guess they have to be useless? type of guys''

#1: Do not mix regular season with playoffs!!!! Mindset is different, goals are different, having a penalty in 100x times worse in the playoffs and all 10 guys give their 100% every shift. It's 2 different seasons and 2 different ways of approaching the game, now of course, for x and y lovers on this board, they have no idea of what I'm talking about.

#2: Fighters do prevent injuries. They don't stop every injury because their job isn't to stop the other team of playing the game of hockey. It's to keep things honest out there, that players don't aim knees or heads or whatever, that after the whistle they don't start threatening teammates or slash whoever they please, I CLEARLY saw on more then one occasion players go back to the bench with their head between their legs in a sign of disbelief, asking themselves what the hell they were gonna do when the going got tough, something that never happened when the hated Laraque played for the Habs, hell even Markov looked meaner on the ice then Lucic and Niel when we had somebody that was watching them.

#3 GM's are still signing fighters and tough players left and right, so why do you guys keep fantasizing that they have no use?? Shero went from Godard to Macyntire when he already had Engelland and Asham, Stan Bowman added Mayers and Carcillo to a team that had nobody, Lamoriello added Eric Boulton and Cam Janseen to a team that had Adam Mair and David Clarkson and Joe Newindyk added Godard to the Stars, I'll take their opinion way over some fans with rose-coloured glasses all the time.

Fact of the matter is I'm certain that players like Thomas Plekanec (who BTW publicly said he wouldn't mind a fighter, imagine what that means when the mics are off), Mike Cammalleri and Scott Gomez would jump for the joy themselves if the Habs added some sort of protector, and it's that little extra confidence that will make the team better.
Great post. You have been spot on the entire thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Yes, exactly. They're too detrimental to the game when it really matters. That isn't convincing evidence that we should be loading up on goons.

That's not what I saw at all during Laraque's short tenure here. Remember Sauer on Kostitsyn? Remember that useless scrub that sent a flying elbow at Gorges? People are going to take liberties one way or another. Having a tough guy play 5 minutes a night isn't going to stop anything.

You can keep ignoring all the injuries that happen despite a lineup of tough guys if you want though. When are you going to address all the concussions via cheap shots the Bruins have suffered over the years? Good thing Bergeron, Savard and Horton had all those tough guys keeping the game honest, eh? Sounds like if anyone here is an "x and y" person, it's you.

I already said I want some tougher guys on this team, I don't want useless players like Godard and Engellend though. I'd love to have Asham or Carcillo type players. I think they probably strike more fear into players like Lucic or Neil than some big dumb ape who'll probably never be on the ice at the same time as them anyway.
For the last time, please, do not ever use Laraque as a gauge or measuring stick for the effectiveness of having a fighter on a team.

Laraque stood up for his teammates in Pittsburgh. When Laraque moved to Montreal, he suddenly decided to adopt the "fighter's code" of only engaging in staged fights.

It was plain to see for everyone that BGL did not want to be in Montreal, did not want to play for the Canadiens and proved that game after game by not sticking up for the Habs on the ice.

Laraque was pathetic and it is even more pathetic for people to hold him as the standard for whether this team needs a tough guy/fighter/enforcer/protector or not.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 08-25-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: merged
SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote