View Single Post
Old
08-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Can you prove that most NHL teams have 5 insured contracts? I've never heard that. The reason he was uninsured was because he had a history of concussions and the underwriters wouldn't touch him. He was coming off a career year, yet no other GMs would bite on him because they couldn't get insurance on him. Poile took the bait, epic fail, so we got Fisher. Fine, whatever.

And how do you know the latest reports were too optimistic? Lombardi himself says his goal is to be ready for training camp. If he misses his goal by 6 weeks, he's still ready by December.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Sure.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...ven-Years.aspx

Can you prove that no other GMs would bite on Lombardi? How do you know that he didn't have multiple offers from other teams?

I think you are misinterpreting what Lombardi is saying here. Of course his goal is to be ready as soon as possible. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. Every NHLer's goal is to win the Stanley Cup. Does that mean they are all going to do it? What I said before was a paraphrase from Burke himself. They are going to slowly ease him in. December is way too long for us to wait. Again I ask, do you really think Lombardi is the answer to our scoring problems?
I'm guessing you can't provide an answer to my questions?

I respect your opinion that Toronto would make the deal at any time, regardless of health, but I fully disagree with it. If Lombardi goes into training camp, then suddenly says "Well, I'm a lot further off than I realized and I'm going to have to sit this whole season out," then I highly doubt Toronto would waste their time and money with him. Even worse, what if Lombardi gets injured again during camp? What if he has another set back? There are just too many "what ifs" for us and getting rid of him as soon as possible was the best move IMO.

If Toronto wants Franson that badly, they can just give us a 2nd round pick for him and be done with it. Yes, it sucks that was had to give up an asset to fix a problem, but losing Franson is not the end of the world. People are always wanting Poile to be proactive and unload his assets, well he did just that. Now not only do we have extra payroll space to improve our club, but we also opened up a roster spot for one of our prized dmen prospects to enter the league.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote