Thread: Speculation: I'm confused.
View Single Post
Old
08-26-2011, 02:13 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 500
Well common sense on HF is that while Garon should obviously be an upgrade over M. Smith in net the departures of Gagne, Bergenheim, Lundin and R. Jones were not properly compensated by signing Shannon, Pyatt, (Ouellet, Picard, T. Smith) Gilroy and Gervais. Roloson is considered a risk due to his age but he was old last season already and took us to game 7 of the ECF. With Garon we have a solid backup and a former teammate of Rolo so I'm not worried about our goaltending.

I'm also not worried about the regular season. Other teams in the East have become better, yes, but most of last season's roster will return, all our core players are still there, Boucher's system is up and running, etc. We have a lot of young players who will fight for a roster spot in training camp (Tyrell, B. Jones, Pyatt, Wright, Ashton...) and obviously a couple of guys are expected to improve their game even further (Tyrell, B. Jones, Shannon, Purcell, Stamkos, Hedman, Gilroy...).

Come playoffs it looks a little bit different. While Gagne was MIA half of the regular season he was clutch in the playoffs, he's great defensively and just a very smart player. I understand why he was let go (mainly because of injuries) tho. Bergenheim scored some big goals in the playoffs too but that doesn't mean we can't go as deep as last season without him. The good thing about Boucher's system is that it's not as much about the individuals. Swarm mentality *****es. Barring injuries we should be just fine. The most comforting thing is that we seem to have a long-term plan and finally some great talents in the pipeline. Thank god for Vinik, Yzerman and Boucher. And Lawton of course.