View Single Post
Old
08-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Ed Wood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
While this is true that we've spent some draft picks in recent years, you have to realize the context too.

The team was trying to win with the core, and during Alfredsson's last years.

So, do you mind if I LOL about this :

" we actually have fewer prospects than we could have had "

I see that you are new around here (and maybe not a Sens fan, I've seen the rain before) but do you have an idea of what the Sens prospects pool looks like? We will probably have 4 prospects in HF top-50, and a few more closing in. We also have enough prospects to make 2 decent NHL pools (if you mix them up together)... Our depht is phenomenal at this point and prospects like Daugavins won't even get a true chance on the team because of it.

The top-end of our prospects is a question mark, but I have news for you. It is the same for every prospects pools. That's why it's called "prospects" and not "future NHL players"

Basically, we've traded :

- A late 1st (26th overall) for Campoli (solid cheap young puck-mover, who got traded for a 2nd two years later). So the global cost of this trade is the difference between the 1st and the 2nd. Oh and we also got Potulny back, which was key for the Calder Cup win. Not bad for Campoli which was very helpful for cap purposes.

- A 2nd : Matt Cullen, very good acquisition, but didn't pay because the team didn't advance in the playoffs

- Another 2nd : Andy Sutton, very good acquisition, but didn't pay because the team didn't advance in the playoffs

- A 3rd : used with our 1st to move up and draft Erik Karlsson. Do you regret it?

- A 1st : to get David Rundblad. Don't like that trade?

- A 3rd : to get Filatov. Don't like that gamble?

- A 2nd : used with our 2nd to get another 1st round pick and draft Matt Puempel

But you should probably get informed on how many picks and assets were acquired during that time...

Butler, Winchester, Da Costa, Dziurzinsky, Cannone, a 2nd for Kelly, a 1st and a 3rd for Fisher, a 7th for Kovalev, a 6th for Ruutu, a 2nd for Campoli, a 6th for Auld, a 5th for McGrattan, a 2nd in the Heatley deal, a 1st in the Meszaros deal... and probably a few more I forgot.

It is simply foolish to think that people would have accepted if they "cleaned the house" in 2008 right after being Stanley Cup finalists and start a rebuild. We had coach problems back then, so after Clouston got in, they thought the team could contend again but Heatley decided otherwise and problems started.

Just accept it, every team has to go through this eventually. The Sens had about 10 full years (except the strike year) to win, and came close only once, maybe 2 if you count 2003. This is a larger window of opportunity than most teams get.
Six or seven years from now when we are, at best, a middle of the pack team fighting for that final playoff spot you may finally come to realize that Bryan Murray was one truly mediocre General Manager. I knew it the day he traded Meszaros and it couldn't have been driven home more resoundingly when he not only re-signed Chris Phillips but gave him yet another NTC.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote