Old
08-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I still insist he was screwed in Vancouver, but he did look good with the Sharks last season. Winnipeg has a number of guys that can play center, but don't they only have a few NHL ready guys that play center full time? I know Little has played center, and something makes me think Fehr has as well, but Antropov is the only top 6 center, with guys like Maxwell, Hopzafel and Slater being the only other guys to play center ready for NHL duty. Burmistrov could pop in too, but Wellwood with decent linemates for a top 6 role would be an excellent back up. Either Ladd or Kane, with Little on the RW would be alot of fun to watch, as opposed to Glass and Bernier, he could end up being a bargain signing.
Winnipeg is thin at center, particularly in the top 6. However, as this season starts and progresses, their young players could grow to fit into those roles quite nicely. Little will continue to play center, as he has proved he's capable of playing the position and having success there. Antropov is a natural center but will be back to playing RW. Burmistrov is expected to be the 2nd line center and should get even better this year. Then you have Stapleton and Slater for the bottom 6. Fehr will be on the wing.

I think if the Jets do sign Wellwood, they'd use him for a bottom 6 role, which personally I find him more suited for. He's not a checker or a grinder but he isn't cut out for the top 6 either. He has the talent but not the drive for a top 6 role. He's not a guy you expect to be one of your main offensive threats. I'd pick him over Stapleton for that 3rd line center spot though.

Seeing Wellwood play well last year on the wing in San Jose as a secondary scorer makes me believe he's best suited for the wing and that the ideal situation for him would be to stay in San Jose. However, if the Sharks don't want to keep him, Winnipeg wouldn't be a bad fit. He'd likely play 3rd line center there as he did in Vancouver.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote