View Single Post
Old
08-27-2011, 01:39 AM
WeeBey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You have to draft them yourself or trade for them BEFORE they become impact players. But it takes patience to do this and we haven't demonstrated this ability. A lot of us are frustrated that we've been stuck in the neverending cycle of building with small mediocre players and folks here keep defending those moves.
What should Gauthier have done this off-season then? I don't get it, are we supposed to get, a bunch of big immediate impact players via the UFA pool, or are we supposed to draft wisely? Or do we trade for young players? I'm confused as to what people want now. One person's complaining that we didn't sign any UFA "tough guy", some are complaining that everyone being drafted is small and soft.

If you acknowledge that they aren't readily available as NHL players, why would potential power forwards be any easier to acquire when they're younger? Likely, the team that drafted them are seeing the same thing as Habs management, so they'll be expecting some kind of overpayment won't they? Then, if PG manages to nab one of these players, one of two things will happen; people will complain that this player won't make an immediate impact, or they'll complain that we overpaid.

I don't understand the complaints about drafting either. Almost everyone drafted by Gauthier has been over 6 foot. It looks like he's at least meeting the demand for size. Whether or not they'll turn out to be the intimidating forces we want is yet to be seen.

Gauthier has only been GM for one full season. Who was the last "soft" player he brought in? I think it's a little too early to claim that Gauthier's just bringing in more of the same.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote