View Single Post
Old
08-27-2011, 05:30 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think we all agree that we need an elite forward in order to really take that next step, but after an entire summer of picking apart what it would take to even make that look like a vague possibility it makes sense that we will probably add a 50+ pt guy before we add a 70+ pt guy. I don't think it's changing one's story to accept that these elite-type guys just aren't moved very often. When those trades do happen there is typically an underlying issue. Heatley didn't seem to be fitting in with the Sharks, so he was traded for Havlat. Both of those guys were 60pt players last seasons. Heatley has had two 100+ pt seasons, and Havlat has never broken 80 pts plus he has injury concerns so that points to there being an underlying issue with Heatley. In their other deal, SJ sent Setoguchi to Minnesota for Burns. Setoguchi is, for now, one or two tiers down from the top tier of forwards in the league. Burns, while a good defenseman, is a tier down from the Webers and Charas in the league. These big deals where star players are swapped just aren't very likely to happen, so it seems to me that the discussion is at its best when it's directed towards the realistic more than the unlikely. Even if the unlikely scenario is the one that puts the team over the top. A lot of teams are one elite player away from being in serious contention. Most, if not all, of those teams will not get that elite player through a one-for-one trade involving their own elite player. Most, if not all, likely won't even get that player in any type of trade.
So let's take it one step further and end all of this already. For our sake and everyone else's.

So we need a 50 point guy. Poile signed a guy in Bergfors who has average 40 points the last two seasons. He never really fit in. Sound familiar? SK part 2. Why not see what Bergfors can do before we start making moves.

Secondly, why trade Wilson, who is only 21, was number 7 overall and was pegged to be a 60 point player for us when we drafted him? Let's let him develop too. He knows what it takes to be in the NHL and if the playoff bench didn't wake him up, I don't know what will but power forwards generally take time to develop. He's got good hands and skill, he'll be fine. We have 7 guys with the possibility of hitting 50 points each. Another one would be great but we'd have to give one up to get a different one. We're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Let the young guys develop. Get Rads back next year. Move on to later rounds in the playoffs.

We also forget we have a few guys that may get serious looks at camp this year in Smith, Beck and Latta. I wouldn't put it past any of them or all of them to make the team and other guys getting traded. It probably won't happen but there is a big competition for the bottom 6 spots on the roster.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote