View Single Post
Old
08-29-2011, 08:17 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
As far as I understand it mediocre does not mean average or middle of the pack it means below average or below middle of the pack or at bare minimum lower middle of the pack. I've never heard the word "mediocre" being used to express something as "average" as that isn't what it is.

It's funny even dictionary.com #1 and #2 are walking contradictions of each other so I can understand the confusion, check it out:

of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate: The car gets only mediocre mileage, but it's fun to drive. Synonyms: undistinguished, commonplace, pedestrian, everyday; run-of-the-mill. Antonyms: extraordinary, superior, uncommon, incomparable.

Clearly here it states that it is average but again antonyms paint a different picture as the opposite of extraordinary or superior to me is... well... not average but garbage, inferior etc.

not satisfactory; poor; inferior: Mediocre construction makes that building dangerous. Synonyms: meager, low-quality, second-rate; so-so. Antonyms: excellent, superior.

Clearly here it uses the words "poor", "inferior" or "low-quality"

Antonyms being excellent and superior... opposite of that to me is garbage and inferior. Before anyone jumps on it I obviously don't mean garbage in the true sense of the word but you know what I mean, opposite of excellent would be terrible.

Also to anyone saying Alex Tanguay isn't soft. He was cleared to play by the doctors but refused to play in an important string of playoff games due to being a UFA. He has always been considered soft in general anyways but to say he isn't soft after that is ridiculous. Let me tell you something, Chris Pronger wouldn't refuse to play if the doctors okayed him, whether or not he's a pending UFA.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote