View Single Post
Old
08-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
I'm coaching a varsity high school team again this season. The team won the league championship last year. The team was led last year by probably the four best players in the league. All four are gone this season (2 graduated and the other 2 have moved on to the WHL and WSHL). This year will be very interesting. Over half the team is back and most have at least 2 years at the varsity level. That being said, a lot of last year was feed the 2 big scorers and let them go when the times got tough. This year it's going to take a total team effort and getting the kids to really buy into playing a system that might not be exciting but it will fit with the talent level we have. We can still win but it will need to look completely different than last season.

We have evaluations (can't say tryout anymore) but we basically already know 95% of the kids that will make varsity. There were a couple of kids on the jv team last year that I would love to have but they were really small last year. If a couple of them have grown it may change things.

I look for kids that are coachable first of all. I have one kid in particular this year that was a freshman last year and played on the jv team. He has always played on rep teams and all star teams but never really had much coaching. He is the most uncoachable kid I have ever had. He has an excuse for everything and every play is someone else's fault. Last year was the first year that he couldn't dominate the competition and he did nothing but b**ch about everyone else and refused to play any kind of a team game. He has plenty of talent to play varsity this year but we'll have to see what his attitude is like at the evaluations. I'm going to put him with kids that are better than he is and see if he picks up his game or points fingers. I hope that competition will bring out the best and not the worst.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote