View Single Post
Old
08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
nietzsche

vCash: 500
Separating posts as to not make it too long.

I tried to make it in such a way that it's not like the USA/Canada teams split in 2006, but as if they split in the early 1900's!

So, it is made in such a way that history has been re-writen.

Since the NY Americans never folded, there are no NY Islanders. Same with the Colorado Avalanche, New Jersey Devils (formerly the Kansas City Scouts) and San Jose Sharks (California Seals, I believe) and Calgary Flames (Atlanta Flames).

WHA teams like the Calgary Cowboys, Ottawa Civics and Houston Aeros, are now major league teams in their respective countries.

But this is somewhat selective, because there are both the Detroit Cougars and Detroit Red Wings, when the former became the later in reality. I simply couldn't get myself to make the Red Wings non-existent.

Some teams, like the Nashville Predators and Anaheim Ducks simply never came to existence. This is mostly due to having terrible names (alltough I love the Ducks movies). Other expansion teams are minor league teams now, like the Florida Panthers and Columbus Blue Jackets. I'm thorn beetwen making the NJ Devils and Dallas Stars minor league teams aswell. Possibly the Nashville Predators.

I've done a lot of research on historical teams, and only really created a couple of teams. A lot of teams come from real past Canadian teams from the AHL, like the Fredericton Express, Halifax Citadels, and others.

Some come from major junior, with Sherbrooke Castors and Laval Voisins beeing possibly the coolest team names ever.

Old time teams, like Winnipeg Falcons, Hamilton Tigers, Vancouver Millionaires, Quebec Aces, Victoria Cougars, Montreal Maroons, Toronto St. Pat's never ceased to exist, and they have a couple of Stanley Cups to their credit in the fantasy past (replacing teams like the Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers and Detroit Red Wings).

The Calgary Royals replace the Calgary Flames, since the latter was a relocation team from the Atlanta Flames, wich still exists in this DB.

The Kitchener-Waterloo Greenshirts really are a real team (surprisingly). It's a really cool name, but for the life of me I couldn't find their logo/jerseys. I'm working on it.

Mississauga Nationals (and their really cool logo, I'll upload it), Britsh Columbia Express (inspired on BCHL's Burnaby Express), Edmonton Eskimos (CFL rip off), Brampton Bears and Newfoundland Islanders (vintage NY Islanders lighthouse logo) are teams I truly "created".

Some cities/regions are somewhat overloaded with teams. British Columbia has 5 teams, plus another couple of minor league teams. Calgary and Edmonton have two teams each, as does Winnipeg, Quebec and Ottawa. All included, Ontario has 9 teams in the NHL alone! But really, it's the best I could do.

Oh, and it uses real players aswell, with a twist I'll save for later...

What do you think?

DISCLAIMER: This DB is in no way intented to be offensive to anyone, or a cry for "Hockey is Canada's game!" kind of thing. Really. It's purely fictional and history-based for gameplay only. Specially since the European/American leagues are just as strong as the NHL.

nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote