View Single Post
Old
08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Very cool and great work. Thanks for this, at least it gives us an idea of where it fits on the spectrum.

Do clubs who fight more often also wind up being clubs that are generally more penalized as a whole? I would guess so but if you know how that shakes out it would be interesting too. Then again, we've had some seasons where we've been heavily penalized and we certainly don't fight that often so...
You piqued my curiosity, so I checked into it.

First graph is where teams on average ranked in FM vs where they ranked in non-FM PIMs (because why count the FMs?):

These numbers are since 2001. Evidence shows the lower a team ranked in FMs the lower they tended to rank in non-FM PIMs. It wasn't 1-to-1 though, so I guess there's something to be said about fighting not necessarily hurting your team.

Looking at it another way, this mess of a graph is every team's # of FMs with the number of non-FM PIMs they received since 2001.

Again, numbers show more FMs = more PIMs of other kinds, generally speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat
For one minute, forget everything about the ''utility'' of fighting in a hockey game (scoreboard)

A fight is entertaining. That add a flavor to an hockey game. It's spectacular and that helps to create rivalry. Everybody enjoy a good fight during a game.
I agree, and have said as much. Fights entertain people, and a major part of sports is entertainment.

That being said, I usually won't use a player's fighting prowess to determine whether or not he will help the team win hockey games.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote