Old
08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm no economist but let's examine what was this past offseason's goalie market.

Teams needing a goalie:
Flyers
Avs
Lightning
Capitals (possibly. Varlamov was a question mark.)

Goalies available:
Bryzgalov
Vokoun
Roloson

I did a quick search on being "first to market" and found something that I think is extremely applicable in our situation.

http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz...519_306313.htm

Homer decided to be first to market (tends to be his strategy overall). He got his man. So be it. We got a goalie.

Cross off the Flyers and Bryzgalov.

Then Roloson re-signs with TB.

Cross off the Lightning and Roloson.

Then the AVs go insane, and trade a boatload for Varlamov.

Cross off the AVs, but now the Caps are clearly in the market, with only one FA goalie left.

To suggest that people are crazy for insinuating that one of the goalies might come at a real bargain is...well...crazy. 3 goalies, 3 buyers. 4 if you really believed the Caps.

I never saw anyone specifically say that Vokoun would sign for X dollar amount; but I did say people say something along the lines of "it's very possible that someone (presumably Vokoun) comes at a bargain". It was REALLY apparant after the Varlamov trade. There was 1 goalie, and 1 buyer. He was either signing there, or not signing at all (or at least not anytime soon).
I understand the idea, but what I am saying is that it doesn't guarantee anything. Some people, and maybe not you, are acting as if Homer totally blew it and we could have had Vokoun for far less. Which very well may have been possible. But it isn't by any means a guarantee and I don't understand why signing an elite goalie to a long term deal instead of a different, older elite goalie to a shorter term deal is being treated as if it were a catastrophic decision (and I don't mean you, because you obviously don't feel that way).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote