View Single Post
Old
10-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Allan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
the TSN play of the game was last summer when Joe sakic gave andy van hellemond a ride in his new speed boat AND a ceasar on the dock. If that doesn't earn you RESPECT calls, nothing will.

$^%#$%#$#%$#

I get sooooo peeeed off when guys get respect calls. Maybe the referees should re-read the rule book. From what I have seen, a penalty on a rookie is pretty much the same as a penalty on a hall of famer. The oilers will allways get screwed at this.
The Oilers didn't get screwed. When a player checks somebody into the goal post head first, square in the back, so that he can't get his hands up to defend himself, he deserves a major and a game misconduct.

The players who get screwed are the ones who don't get this call because they aren't Joe Sakic. The rule should be called the same for everyone, but this was quite clearly the right call according to rule 48a.

Rule 48 Checking from Behind
A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore UNABLE TO DEFEND HIMSELF, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.
(a) Any player who cross-checks, pushes or charges from behind an opponent who is unable to defend himself, shall be assessed a major and a game misconduct. This penalty applies anywhere on the playing surface.

I don't think that you can say that Sakic turned his back to create the contact, so I can't see how there can be any argument.