BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
2nd Lines

Tanti-Backstrom-Sands

vs.

Dahlen-Ribeiro-Stastny

Tanti and Dahlen's career adjusted PPG are nearly identical. Tanti's is .65997 and Dahlen's is .65940. But, if you look at their finishes, Tanti looks more impressive.

Tanti

Goals-11, 13, 23, 24, 24

Points%-73, 68, 52, 51
Goals%-75, 72, 64, 59, 50

Dahlen

Goals: 23, 43, 55, 75, 87

Goals%: 67, 52, 51, 44, 34
Points%: 58, 54, 50, 35, 26

Tanti is definitely the better offensive player, and I don't think it's that close. Tanti's adjusted PPG isn't a true indication of how good he was offensively because he played on such bad teams.

Both were very strong net presences on the PP and on even strength as well. Tanti was known as the master of the tip. Tanti's PP goals/game is .1693 to Dahlen's .1242. Their careers overlapped a little bit and this comparison benefits Tanti because of era, but I still think Tanti is the better PP performer even when considering era.

Now, the big edge Dahlen has on Tanti is board work and corner play. This advantage is big. One thing I notice about Dahlen is how shockingly few penalties he killed during his career. His profile suggests he is a two-way player, but in his entire career he was out for a grand total of 7 power play goals against!!! Now, I know that those two aren't necessarily indicative of each other, but they certainly do seem to have a pretty strong correlation. By comparison, Tanti, a guy that was average at best defensively, was out for 75 career PPG against. I just thought that was perplexing. But, neither of them are on PK units here. Judging who is the better player depends upon how much you value Dahlen's intangibles. Tanti has the offensive edge, but does Dahlen make up for it with his board work? I'm not so sure.

That takes us to Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Ribeiro. First, let's take a look at how they performed head to head since Backstrom entered the league:

Backstrom: 323GM, 87G, 236A, 323PTS(1PPG)
Ribeiro: 306GM, 87G, 198A, 285PTS(.931PPG)

Backstrom is better. Both of their entire careers:

Backstrom: 323GM, 87G, 236A, 323PTS(1PPG)
Ribeiro: 663GM, 169G, 361A, 530PTS(.799PPG[adjusted])

Backstrom is better. Here are some other metrics by which they can be measured:

Selke

Backstrom: 10, 28
Ribeiro: 54(4 voting points, 2 homer votes as far as I'm concerned)

All Star Voting

Backstrom: 4, 11
Ribeiro: none

Hart

Backstrom: 11
Ribeiro: none

All definitive edges to Backstrom. Overall, I think it's safe to say Backstrom is the superior overall player. Ribeiro's got just 3 more years of MLD-relevant stats that add longevity, and it isn't enough to make up for Backstrom's advantage in literally every other metric.

That takes us to Charlie Sands and Marian Stastny. Charlie Sands has an obvious edge in defensive play, and that is the major reason that I have him in my top 6. Offensively, I'll concede an advantage to Marian Stastny. In terms of toughness, neither one brings anything relevant to the table. They're about even in effectiveness in terms of their overall impact on each line.

Overall, I think the 2nd lines are an advantage to Philadelphia. Tanti is better offensively than Dahlen(Dahlen has board work and better defensive play, but I'm starting to question that defensive play), Backstrom is easily better than Ribeiro both offensively and defensively, and Sands and Stastny are more or less even. Philadelphia's group is definitely better defensively with Backstrom and Sands being strong two-way players, and Eden Hall only having Dahlen as a two-way player.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote