Old
08-31-2011, 01:22 PM
DM23BK30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I will mail, free of charge, a copy of

Broadway Blues - by Frank Brown

This book is one of the best insights into the day-to-day NHL operations of the New York Rangers. It chronicles June 1992 to April 1993. During this tumultuous period, the Rangers "trade" for Eric Lindros at the draft, end the Roger Nielson era, Kovalev begins with the Rangers, Mike Richter ascends and effectively ends Vanbiesbrouck's NYR career, signing of Mike Keenan, an interesting looks toward Neil Smith's operational style, and covers the entire disastrous 92-93 season.

For those who are not familiar with him, Frank Brown was a long term beat writer who retired after the Cup and handed his job to John Dellapina.

Without a shadow of a doubt, it is a fascinating read and I highly recommend it.

In mailing this copy out for free, I make only two demands:

1) Read the book (and in a reasonable amount of time)
2) Distribute it to another Ranger fan in the same fashion

If anyone else has any Ranger books/media they wish to share with another individual, and if the mods allow, please post it here. Please, don't ask for ANY money for any materials. The spirit should be sharing and free.

It's a great read.

It's weird -- I discovered it in the Northeastern University library around 1995 while looking for Bronx Zoo. Took me two days to finish.

Granted, a lot of the stuff we already knew -- the Neilson/Mess fiasco, Kovalev the enigma, and of course, the Richter meltdown in Game 4

Frank Brown was probably my favorite beat writer. He took a job with the NHL almost immediately after the Cup season. I never thought Dellapina measured up, personally.

Hats off to you for your willingness to mail out free copies.

I say this is a mandatory read for all the pre-1994 fans on this site, and all the over-25 crowd in case they havent read it yet

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote