Thread: Shea Weber
View Single Post
08-31-2011, 01:30 PM
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Um no I disagree with his methods. I am not content with being a bottom playoff team with no higher aspirations than the 2nd round of the playoffs. Poile is great at building teams but not getting teams to the next level. His years with the Caps are a testament to this.

I believe he isn't capitalizing on momentum and his inability to take decisive action is maddening. He hasn't changed over the past decade. He isn't going to change now.

If you have noticed, I am not alone in my thinking. Many fan's have expressed their displeasure. Pull your head out of the sand.
Then you don't understand the business. AT ALL. We HAVE to make the playoffs to break even (or only lose $1-3M a year). That is a fact. We can't pay these expensive ($5-7M) players that will get us 60 points a year, if we can get a cheaper ($2.5-4M) player that will get us 50. Otherwise, we are just throwing $2-3M out the window for the same result.

That's what a SMALL MARKET TEAM is. Again, if you don't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Btw, I agree with what you are saying about Poile. So there is no need for comments like "pull your head out of the sand" since i see it myself. But the difference between you and I is: I understand it. It makes sense to me. We HAVE to do this. We CAN'T lose money.

Again, if you don't like the philosophy that a small market team like us has to take, then STOP BEING A FAN OF THIS TEAM. You are annoying the rest of us with your "sky is falling! We aren't making any moves! AHHHH!!" attitude.

Or you can go be a fan of other small market teams that have had zero success: New York Islanders, Atlanta (whoops) Winnipeg Jets, Phoenix Coytoes, Florida Panthers, St. Louis Blues, Columbus Blue Jackets, Carolina Hurricanes (outside of ONE year -- which btw, they were an EIGHT seed), Ottawa Senators, Calgary Flames, Colorado Avs (post 2005-06), and Buffalo Sabres.

I (oh and Poile) would rather have a team be competitive and make the playoffs and break-even/barely lose money than a team that goes for it all, doesn't make the playoffs and we lose $10M. There is NO other option. The faster you understand that, the better off you are.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote