View Single Post
Old
08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I'm not going to respond to every point, but:

Quote:
I'm going to need a legit source for this or for Iain to validate this to believe it.
Seriously? Iain posted the stats when I drafted McGimsie and now you need him to confirm to assume I'm not just making crap up by re-posting the stats that he provided?

Are you trying to be a dick?

Quote:
So you admit that McGimsie had no depth of competition in this league? I see 3 total relevant players that he had to compete with for finishes, one of them being a defenseman.
Define, "relevant," because last I checked there were more HHOFers who played in McGimsie's league than McDougall's...

In fact, did a single forward in McDougall's league make the HHOF? Drinkwater and Grant were defensemen. Alf Smith made the Hall, but he barely competed against McDougall.

Quote:
Again, see my note about quality and depth of competition. You accuse me of statistical smoke, and you're using it yourself here. That 39% is as deceiving a number as it gets. McDougall led the league in goals/game!
I have always used full season percentages when using the method, even if it hurts my players (see Zigmund Palffy in the ATD). It's a valid method. You can disagree with it, but it's not the same as your ridiculous insistence that #2 in a league that didn't contain all the world's best players is the same as #2 in a consolidated NHL. Which is what you are saying when you use VS2 numbers for pre-1926 seasons.

Quote:
See my note above about depth of competition. McGimsie basically had to compete against 2 forwards for scoring finishes, and one of them is another MLD forward! McDougall was competing against 6 legitimate ATD forwards, and one that shifted positions. I don't see how one could argue McGimsie's league is close to McDougall's in terms of competition.
Okay, maybe this needs to be made clear: our ATD, while an interesting and educational exercise, is still a fantasy world. If your only evidence for a player's greatness is past draft position, that's really no better than having no evidence at all.

Quote:
Yet again, see my note about the depth and quality of competition. Who cares who was seen as a "superstar"? Why does that matter at all?
How can you argue that it doesn't matter who was seen as a better player by those who actually saw them? Anyway, McGimsie was overshadowed by Tommy Phillips, a much better player than Graham Drinkwater and Mike Grant, the two guys overshadowing McDougall.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote