View Single Post
Old
08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Talk about selective use of a profile!! Convenient that you would choose to take that quote in my profile, but you ominously decided not to bring up these:
Actually, I got the quote from Pelletier. I'm pretty sure that it's not in your profile
Quote:
Your brutes have to be able to catch Ftorek first. As I noted earlier, Ftorek did not back down from people, and the following shows that he was able to avoid physical contact as well.
In the WHA...

Quote:
Ftorek never had a bodyguard during his time in the WHA as far as I know, and he survived pretty well there.
In the WHA...

Quote:
I can play the same game with Billy McGimsie. In Mickoski's bio, I see the following words: "had size", "difficult to bump off the puck", "digger", "diligent worker", and "labored long and hard against last night". What exactly there makes Mickoski tough? It makes him a corner guy, but what there says that he will be sticking up for McGimsie or Drozdetsky when Bill Juzda, Jim Dorey, or Alex Smith is throwing them around? Juzda was a bone crushing hitter, Dorey was built like a caveman, thrived on the roughness of a game, and was described as an alley fighter. Smith thrived on a physical game as well.
1) McGimsie was less of a midget for his era than Ftorek. He was only 10 pounds lighter than Ftorek, playing in an era when the average human being was much smaller.

2) We have specific evidence that Ftorek's lack of size was an issue in the NHL, something that it was not in the WHA. There is no evidence that McGimsie couldn't compete in a better league, as he did just fine in Cup Challenges.

3) Again, you don't need a pugilist on every line, but every line will be involved in puck battles many times per game.

Quote:
Because Backstrom is the main problem with the Capitals come playoff time and the offense is the reason why they can't win the playoffs. I literally laughed when I read that. The Capitals can't succeed in the playoffs because their defense is absolutely horrendous, and their goaltending is sub-par. Backstrom is the engine that makes this line go.
I don't know about anyone else, but I literally laughed when I saw the bolded statement.

Quote:
So, let's take a look at how Backstrom has had success in his career. He passes it to a sniper(Tanti) while the 3rd guy on the line doesn't really figure much in the scoring, other than getting deflections off Ovechkin's shots or being on the receiving end of spectacular plays by the other two to get a tap-in goal. Backstrom doesn't need a puckwinner on his line to be successful. According to behindthenet.ca, here are the guys that played 3rd wheel to Ovechkin and Backstrom since Backstrom entered the NHL: Viktor Kozlov(certainly not a physical presence at all), Viktor Kozlov, Mike Knuble, and Mike Knuble. Backstrom's 2nd and 3rd best seasons were with Kozlov, and 1st and 4th were with Knuble. He had 157 points with Kozlov, and 166 with Knuble. I think that difference is easily more than explained by the fact that Backstrom played his first 2 years with Kozlov and his last 2 with Knuble. He simply got better as a player in those last 2 years than he was in his first two. I'm sure you'll be quick to point out the change in system that Boudreau implemented in 10-11 that hindered his offense. But, we don't know by how much, and I still think the fact that it's that close in his first 2 years compared to his next 2 equates to him making significant strides as a player more than anything. Nicklas Backstrom doesn't need a puck winner on his line to succeed. You say it won't work in the playoffs? Here are his numbers in the playoffs with each guy:

With Laich+Semin(07-08): 7GM, 4G, 2A, 6PTS(.857PPG)
With Kozlov+Ovechkin(08-09): 14GM, 3G, 12A, 15PTS(1.071PPG)
With Knuble+Ovechkin(09-10 and 10-11): 16GM, 5G, 6A, 11PTS (.6875PPG)

SO, Backstrom had his best playoff performance playing with the least physical 3rd member of his line of all the years if I'm equating Semin to Ovechkin in 07-08, which I think is fair since they play the same role on the line.
I don't know what amuses me more:

1) Using Nicklas Backstrom and the Washington Capitals as a model of what it takes to succeed in the playoffs

OR

2) Arguing that nobody on Backstrom's real-life line provides a physical presence:

Quote:
Yes, Dahlen is a great digger, maybe the best in the draft. He's also not a bodyguard. You seem to be hellbent on the fact that Ftorek is going to get eaten alive by your Butcher and Tex. Who's going to protect that wuss Ribeiro? He's soft as tissue paper and a complete puss to be honest.
That "complete puss" Ribeiro has had a fairly successful career in the NHL, twice finishing Top 20 in points against the modern talent pool. There is a legitimate question of whether Ftorek can handle NHL play - after the WHA folded, Ftorek only had one season in the NHL where he wasn't hampered by injury for more than 25 games.

I think we need to give WHA players a bit of a benefit of the doubt and assume they could succeed in the NHL if they are set up for success. But I don't think you have really set Ftorek up properly for success - not when Red Green is counted on to carry the physical load for the line, other than when Ftorek has to help him out.

Quote:
Dahlen has a grand total of 4 fights in his entire NHL career, and surprisingly low PIM totals for someone that was such a good digger and supposed power forward. That leaves Marian Stastny, and I don't think anyone would call him a physical presence. So, when Jim Dorey takes Ribeiro's head off, who is going to do something about it?
1) Eden Hall's powerplay will punish Philadelphia for undisciplined play.

2) Ribeiro won't be in position to be hit as often as Ftorek will, as Dahlen will own the boards and the front of the net. You seem to be counting on Ftorek to help Red Green in the toughest areas of the ice.

3) Garth Butcher, Jack Evans, and Randy McKay are perfectly willing and able to beat the snot out of Jim Dorey. Evans is obviously better on the ice than in the box, but Butcher and McKay will have no problems teaching Dorey a lesson on his next shift if need be.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 08-31-2011 at 02:32 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote