View Single Post
Old
08-31-2011, 06:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I believe it was you guys that said you wanted to get Pivonka to center your 3rd line, so you must think fairly high of him. I see he's on your 3rd PK unit. Here are his relevant finishes: 6, 3, 5, 3, 4, 4, 3. Pivonka's are 3, 5, 3, 3, 5, 3, 5. Pivonka's are better, but they should be considering Pivonka is on my 2nd unit and Sullivan is on your 3rd. Sullivan has a better career adjusted PPG(.828 to .679). Both were primary playmakers, here are a breakdown of assist and point finishes and percentages.

Pivonka

Assists: 13, 16, 24, 38

Vs2 Assists: 74***, 66, 56*, 56
Vs2 Points: 65, 54**, 53

*2nd place Oates was 15 assists ahead of 3rd place
**2nd place Jagr was 29 points ahead of 3rd place
***there was a tie for 1st, so that's a vs3

Sullivan

Assists: 9, 23, 44

Vs2 Assists: 89***, 77, 60**
Vs2 Points: 84, 69, 64*

*2nd place Sakic was 22 points ahead of 3rd place Elias
**tie for 1st place between Oates and Jagr, so it's a Vs3
***tie for 1st place between St. Louis and Gomez, so it's a Vs3

It's important to note era here, Sullivan played in an era where everyone was much closer together, while Pivonka played in a very high scoring era where it was more difficult to achieve good numbers. Vs2 numbers in the dead puck era can be very deceiving. It's difficult to call these, I'll see what my opponents and the peanut gallery think.

That takes us to Anders Kallur and Ronald Pettersson, two Swedes. Pettersson looks like a guy that does a lot of things pretty well, but isn't elite at anything. What was his competition like? 60s Sweden isn't really known as being the strongest league, and I really don't know much about his competition. His skill set looks like it would be fit for a PKer, but is there anything that actually says he was a PKer? There are things that hint at it like being a team player and hard working, but I don't see anything that says he actually killed penalties. Kallur was an elite PKer and shorthanded threat on the Islanders dynasty teams. Did Pettersson ever lead his league in goals or win the Swedish Player of the Year Award? Kallur did. I don't know which league was better, but I would tend to think that late 70s Sweden was better than late 50s, early 60s Sweden. Kallur also has a 7th and 10th in Selke voting to add to his resume. I think Kallur is the more effective player overall.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote