View Single Post
Old
09-01-2011, 06:40 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
What's funny is he insulted the Philly Media and Timmy seemed to breeze by it like nothing was said about him.

And Briere's right, I'd expect that all the players help out and lead the ways they need to. Really the only importance that I see in the NHL of the C and A's is that they're allowed to speak to the officials. That's it.

It's funny how in the top 2 paragraphs Briere says the captaincy isn't a big deal, and 2 paragraphs later Timmy P is making a big deal about the captaincy.
I've always been a bit fascinated with what a big deal is made out of the captaincy in the NHL. On every single team I've been a member of (in any sport, not just hockey), the captain has been just one of many leaders. I was made a captain on a few occasions with the explicit notion that I didn't speak so much in the locker room but when I did, people listened to what I had to say.

Sure, when you factor in media relations and such it gets a little bit more important perhaps, but inside the locker room, as a group you almost always have multiple leaders. If you don't, that is probably a bit of a problem actually.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote