Thread: Proposal: Bickell (Hawks) for Boyle
View Single Post
Old
09-01-2011, 12:42 PM
freewheeler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Brian Boyle had a strong start last year. However after January 1 (44 games) he had 7 goals and 4 ( yes 4) assists and he didn't score in the playoffs. He's a 4th liner; a defensive player; that's it. Is he offensively retarded like Blair betts? No, but if he scores 10 goals this year I will be shocked. Leave him where he is so he doesn't hurt lines that are expected to score on a regular basis. And he is nowhere near the player Feds is.
On the condition he gets 15 minutes a game, I'll take that bet, just as I'm collecting on my Bautista 30 homer bet. His drop off in offensive stats later in the year was not reflective of poor play. I agree he is not top 6, but I'd like to see him on the 3rd line, if they can get him on Stepan's wing. If not, he should be first to get a bump when there's an injury.

Also, as mentioned, he was used increasingly in defensive situations:

Quote:
On the other hand Boyle, who began a team-low 40.3% of his shifts in the offensive zone, finished 46.8% of his shifts in the attacking zone. That suggests Boyle was able to overcome the disadvantage of starting in his own zone and turned it into some offensive zone time on occasion.

Boyle was put in situations far more likely to result in scoring chances against. His ice time was not protected.
Quote link.

This guy is trending up, not down. Maybe he doesn't score 25, but he's an important piece to this team's bottom 6. The fact that he showed he can fill different roles as needed, including scoring, should be viewed as a positive, not a negative because he didn't maintain that pace. He wasn't going to score 40 goals.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote