Thread: Proposal: Bickell (Hawks) for Boyle
View Single Post
Old
09-01-2011, 01:36 PM
allstar3970

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
On the condition he gets 15 minutes a game, I'll take that bet, just as I'm collecting on my Bautista 30 homer bet. His drop off in offensive stats later in the year was not reflective of poor play. I agree he is not top 6, but I'd like to see him on the 3rd line, if they can get him on Stepan's wing. If not, he should be first to get a bump when there's an injury.

Also, as mentioned, he was used increasingly in defensive situations:

Quote link.

This guy is trending up, not down. Maybe he doesn't score 25, but he's an important piece to this team's bottom 6. The fact that he showed he can fill different roles as needed, including scoring, should be viewed as a positive, not a negative because he didn't maintain that pace. He wasn't going to score 40 goals.
It just seems odd to me how down this board is on Boyle. I realize that he could be a flash in the pan, but why are we assuming that he is?

21 goals, while starting almost 60% of his shifts in the defensive zone is nothing to sneeze at.

In addition, its not like he scored 21 goals with some ungodly unsustainable shooting percentage, in fact it was only 9.6%.

So I see a player that was working hard and creating chances for himself, despite often playing a defensive role. Maybe he won't score 21 again, I just think that too many are taking "last season could have been a fluke" to a level of "Yup, last season was definitely a fluke"

Last edited by allstar3970: 09-01-2011 at 03:13 PM.
allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote