View Single Post
Old
09-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'd say losing Gorges was also a doozy. On its own it wouldn't be as big a deal as it was combined with the Markov injury. Spreading the damage out between forwards and D-men would've been easier to handle.
Gorges was a dozy, but the kind of dozy you'd expect to happen to someone on your team every season. It only mattered in the context of the much more important injury to Markov. The one long term injury they wouldn't be able to handle in Markov's absence was Plekanec, as he was basically carrying the team with the minutes he was taking in the period of time before Subban and Pacioretty started making a difference. While he got less points, there is an argument to be made that last year was an even more impressive year for Plekanec than the one before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan
They didn't get goals, but it was not for lack of generating offensive chances. They left 20 to 30 goals on the table due to bad conversion rates, and don't underestimate how much offense is driven by puck-moving from the back end.
Going into the year I'd have said that the teams biggest immediate needs was for a strong puck moving defenseman to help the team get out of the zone and a solid two way left winger that could compliment Gomez-Gionta (preferably someone that could also crash the crease on the powerplay). Quite fortunately they found both internally in Pacioretty and Subban.

EDIT:
While everyone was raving about how good a year Subban had, when I was going over the numbers for an EOTP article I was once again amazed by how dominant Pacioretty was last year. Lead the league in Corsi and relCorsi, had about a 58% ratio on scoring chances at even strength and got Gomez out of his funk. He was also fantastic on the power play, with the best goalscoring rate on the ream as well as one of the best team on ice scoring and shot production rates and generated a huge penalty differential as well. It might be fair to say he was the second best forward on the team after Plekanec and he wasn't far off either.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 09-01-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote