View Single Post
Old
09-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
They're way deeper on forward than they were at the start of last season when they only had 5 top six caliber forwards so that should help. Going by pure average luck the regression to the mean from poor shooting performances should be a way bigger plus than the negative of more injuries. The second line was an absolute black hole for missed scoring chances all year with the situation only slightly righted by the Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta line's success. Even they scored more by shear volume of chances generated than from the favour of the hockey gods.

The shear volume of blown chances that occurred when Gomez was on the ice was so epic it was almost biblical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
They didn't get goals, but it was not for lack of generating offensive chances. They left 20 to 30 goals on the table due to bad conversion rates, and don't underestimate how much offense is driven by puck-moving from the back end.
Oh, I definitely agree. I don't get into the numbers games as deeply as you two do, but I think any Habs fan just using their own two eyes to assess the team's play should have seen a noted difference between last season's team and teams of the recent past.

And I'm hoping for the bolded. Given how well the team played last year and how healthy our forwards were it's a shame the team didn't put up more goals. But as Mathman alluded to, you can't ignore the impact that losing a Markov has on the offense as well.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote