Thread: Sochi 2014
View Single Post
Old
09-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Night_Vole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I don't think Afinogenov should make the team. Especially in 2014. He is already on the back-end of his career and his explosiveness is just becoming average right now. There are so many young top talent wingers that can step into that position. Kucherov, Gusev, even Filatov come to mind. But most certainly Yakupov, he will be 21 at that point, if I'm not mistaken, and there are high hopes for him.

I also don't think Kulyomin should be a lock. Sure, he is a solid NHL 1st/2nd line right now, but If he has a down season they wouldn't invite him. If Ovi had an off season, for example, he would still make it- that's what you call a lock.

I don't think Kaigorodov will make it, I would rather see even Grigorenko, who will be 20 yrs old at the time. Or whoever else steps up in NHL that season.

I would also pick Orlov, Marchenko, Voynov, Arzamastsev make the team instead of Grebeshkov and maybe even Tyutin. All of those guys have higher projected ceilings. Also Emelin might make a real impact.
Max was sort of a pick em, was at the top my head, he is easily substituted by any vet winger.

Kulemin should be on the team because he is one of the few players that brings good intangibles.

Emelin is certainly has a chance, I will closely be watching him on my habs this year.

The point though is that u cannot have so many unproven players on ur olympic squad. U need guys who have been through it before and know how to come togather for this type of tournament. For instance Yakupov will play junior next year than some kind of split between nhl/ahl the following year. You do not want to be taking a player who has not had a full season in a mjor legue to this type of tourny. You might point out the example of Malkin/Ovechkin who played in Torino, but these are generational players who were already established as leaders of their respective clubs at that point. Even than u don't want more than a couple of these young players because talent only goes so far, u need composure and the ability to preform under preasure.

I'm definetly for having some younger guys, Anisimov and Taresenko should make it and one of burmistrov/kuznetsov. Beyond that, taking any more inexperianced players becomes very risky as u are unsure of how they will preform.

Same idea applies to the D, u listed a bunch of young unproven guys, and it is essentially a pipe dream to be hoping that they all develop in time. Considerring our recent bad histrory of developing defenceman we will be lucky if one of them is ready (I do have really high hopes for Kulikov however, he and Markov will be the center pieces that hold togather our patchwork D)

Night_Vole is offline   Reply With Quote