Thread: News Article: Wade Belak dead at 35
View Single Post
Old
09-02-2011, 07:55 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its strange. There was a lull in the nhl where you didnt hear about enforcer deaths. I heard about john kordic, but after that, I dont recall any tragic deaths until bob probert and the list has grown since.

The life of some of these enforcers remind you of the culture of pro wrestlers with the drug/alcohol abuse, painkiller consumption, and the daily grind that their bodies went through

Belak's death also reminds you how mental illness can be effectively disguised. From everytime I've seen him and by all accounts, this guy was outgoing, fun-loving and just a blast to be around. It makes me look around my circle and wonder if someone is having similar thoughts. At the very least, lets hope that deaths like these raise awareness to depression and mental illness.
The stigma that can be somewhat attached to mental illness is at the root here, and for a so called tough guy in the world of pro sports to have to go to the Dr and tell the doc how he is " feeling " would be too much for the macho type of rock em sock em type of hockey player...

This fun loving well adjusted guy, obviously had alot of issues, and everyone missed them...very sad indeed. Not just Belak, but Rypien and Boodgard,and this situation, will force the league to deal with this stuff, and both the league and PA need to man up, and make sure all of these guys get counselling during their careers, and after the game is over for them...truly tragic for those families involved.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote