View Single Post
Old
09-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 500
Pretty mature comments from Grabovski, re: his time in Montreal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp11688

Quote:
I also read one of your interviews where you said that the Leafs are your favorite club and "are the team you gave you a chance when you were living through not the happiest of times." Were you talking about Montreal when you said "not the happiest of times?"
"I don't think I said 'not the happiest of times,' I think I said 'not the best of times.' When you are not playing you always feel somewhat down. I have been playing hockey my whole life and, of course, I was upset that I spent so much time on the bench. The most important for any hockey player is to actually play. And in Montreal I wasn't given much opportunity to play. I kept waiting for the moment when I would be presented with a chance because I wanted to make the most of it."

Montreal seems like an unhappy place for Belorussian players you didn't cut it there, Sergei Kostitsyn(notes) was traded, and now it looks like his brother Andrei may be in hot waters.
"I think that people who worked for Montreal treated me absolutely great including the general manager. It's just every coach has his own view of hockey. And unfortunately it just didn't work out between me and the coach I was working with there. We couldn't find the common ground. At the very least he didn't see the player who could make the team better in me. I know that the general manager and the other management were satisfied with the way I played. Also if you look at all the guys who are no longer with Montreal, the guys who won the Calder Cup with Hamilton, they are not playing for the Canadiens. A lot of those guys are playing somewhere else. Unfortunately we couldn't keep the core who won the Calder Cup in Hamilton together. But it is [Montreal's] business. They are always searching for something, trying to find something. And I have to thank Bob Gainey who gave me a chance and let me go to Toronto."