Thread: News Article: Wade Belak dead at 35
View Single Post
Old
09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
Even with fighters cheap shots happen. They do not act as deterrents.

IMHO, fighting needs to be abolished. It is antiquated and really does not add much to the experience of the game. I watch hockey for speed and skill and not for thuggery. I can watch the UFC for that.

As for the NHLPA, the organization is incompetent. The goal of a union is to take care of their members, financially AND health wise. With the number of cheap shots in the league and the recent deaths to four tough guys (Tom Cavanagh is the other) they are not taking care of the latter.

The image of the league in the last few years has taken a beating and things do not look like they will improve anytime soon. They have not decided to rectify anything at ATM. I have seen Sloths move faster than the NHL to accomplish something important.
That is unfortunately the case.

the NHL had numerous occasions to solve the problem, and in the last few years we have seen many players being hurt by cheap shots from behind and to the head. Even the Crosby's injury is due to dirty shots. Steckel knew what he was doing. Hedman too. And let's not start on the Chara on MaxPac case. That was premeditated and just plain violent.

Let's just hope that after these three summer's deaths and with the arrival of Shanahan, it will raise the proper questions and find the right solutions.

NHL hockey is getting sickening to watch.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote