View Single Post
Old
09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
What I teach my kids to do is first I don't really want my defensemen to rail the puck up the boards so I have my forwards with their butts against the boards waiting for a pass to their stick. Unfortunately there are times when the puck just needs to be fired up the borads. So in that case (doesn't matter which side you are on) just turn toward the point (keeping your face toward the middle of the ice, not facing the boards, you will lose sight of the puck for a second but you know where it is) and get your stick blade strong on the boards to receive the puck. 3 things can happen and none of them is horrible. A lot of hockey is limiting the opportunities for huge mistakes that result in goals. If you turn and receive the puck facing the point you are facing in the attacking direction and then can either pass to another breaking player or chip the puck out. Or 2, if you receive it and then get hit or tied up you keep yourself from facing the boards and also keep yourself between the puck and the slot. And 3, if you miss it the puck goes to the point and not in front of the net and you are facing that way already and you can go out and force the pointman or block his shot or pass.

Don't over think things or get fancy. Work situations from best case scenerio to worst case and then prioritize. Do all this in practice or at home and think of typical situations you get into and make a plan so you don't have to figure it out on the fly. Best way to slow down the game is to KNOW what you want to do.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote