Thread: News Article: Wade Belak dead at 35
View Single Post
Old
09-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Nothing against you AC, or anybody else who has found this tidbit interesting, but it's really important to check out the source of information like this.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=340104

At first glance, Seidel seems trustworthy as the guy's a long-time scout and is employed in the hockey world, but he has also been exposed as a guy who's capable of being willfully deceitful in his reporting.

When news of Belak's death first hit, a lot of people were claiming there was no way that he could have been suicidal let alone depressed based on what little they've seen of him. Belak's mother revealed that he has dealt with and been medicated for depression for years, proving that initial gut-reaction wrong.

People are still struggling with the idea of a father of two committing suicide even if he is depressed and are reaching for some explanation that gets around that horrible idea. Mark Seidel conveniently and vaguely tweets something that supports that sentiment and it begins to spread like wildfire on the web.

I'm not sure how Belak died and I won't claim I have any more information than the rest of you. However, at this point in time, the horribly sad narrative of a man losing a long battle with depression seems to be the one that makes the most sense in light of what people closest to Belak have said.

Seidel's speculation that there some kind of sordid accident took place while offering no proof or details strikes me as either an act of severe denial, or a despicable and morbid attempt at gaining attention on the off-chance that he's right. Either way, at this point in time it's uncalled for and not worthy of much credence or discussion.
I'm with you. Honestly, I still think that a CTE related suicide seems most likely. Guess it's the awful part of human nature that leads everyone to speculation at times like this.

And then I see this...

PJ Stock feeds the autoerotic asphyxiation angle.

From Stock:
"So many things spread so quickly. I feel terrible for Wade's family and his family and friends and the team about how quickly everything spread. And now it just opens up so many possibilities on why he passed away. It follows up of course the Rick Rypien(notes) story and [whether they are] related. It's just a snowball that's gotten way out of control and I don't know how to reel it back in.
"There's going to be a little bit more to the story. I was just with him a couple of weeks ago and I know a lot of people who know Wade really well, and a lot of people are throwing this on depression and he was not a real depressed guy. He might have had a couple of issues but not demons like Rick Rypien did. Not demons that would have taken his life.
"I believe they've taken the word 'suicide' away from this and called it an 'accidental death'. That's kind of the latest."
Stock later said: "Let's just call it an accidental death right now. But he did die of strangulation," and that "it's not fair" to place the deaths of Derek Boogaard(notes), Rick Rypien and Wade Belak in the same context.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp11744

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-03-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: merged
Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote