Thread: News Article: Wade Belak dead at 35
View Single Post
Old
09-03-2011, 11:57 AM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
I'm with you. Honestly, I still think that a CTE related suicide seems most likely. Guess it's the awful part of human nature that leads everyone to speculation at times like this.

And then I see this...

PJ Stock feeds the autoerotic asphyxiation angle.

From Stock:
"So many things spread so quickly. I feel terrible for Wade's family and his family and friends and the team about how quickly everything spread. And now it just opens up so many possibilities on why he passed away. It follows up of course the Rick Rypien(notes) story and [whether they are] related. It's just a snowball that's gotten way out of control and I don't know how to reel it back in.
"There's going to be a little bit more to the story. I was just with him a couple of weeks ago and I know a lot of people who know Wade really well, and a lot of people are throwing this on depression and he was not a real depressed guy. He might have had a couple of issues but not demons like Rick Rypien did. Not demons that would have taken his life.
"I believe they've taken the word 'suicide' away from this and called it an 'accidental death'. That's kind of the latest."
Stock later said: "Let's just call it an accidental death right now. But he did die of strangulation," and that "it's not fair" to place the deaths of Derek Boogaard(notes), Rick Rypien and Wade Belak in the same context.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp11744
Stock's not exactly the elite of the hockey media either. He doesn't offer any facts relevant to the situation, other than that he saw Belak a while ago and he didn't seem "real depressed" at the time. His words read as those of a man who's struggling to cope with the shock that he's feeling about Belak's death, but don't necessarily strike me as journalistic at their nature (ie. backed up with hard facts and supported by real sources).

Interesting note: Team 990 has pulled the Stock story sometime between now and around midnight last night. I listened to the clip yesterday following PD's link, but it's no longer there (it was right above the Terry Ryan clip). Make of that what you will.

It seems to me that most of these guys that are hinting at some other means of death for Belak are doing so because their gut tells them he couldn't have done something like this.

A guy like Stock probably felt like he was doing Belak's memory a service when he speculated like this. Unfortunately, the rumour mongering that's popping up in the wake of these kinds of comments has been ugly and I'm sure that they can't be good for Belak's family or any of his close friends who are struggling with his death.

In my opinion, it is extremely irresponsible for Seidel and Stock (and Puck Daddy for spreading their words) to vaguely throw this kind of speculation around without any real support for their claims.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote