Thread: News Article: Wade Belak dead at 35
View Single Post
Old
09-03-2011, 01:18 PM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
To be honest, I don't care how he died. A tragedy's a tragedy, and that's what this is.

I'm not trying to feed the rumor mill and I don't put a ton of stock into either of these journalists.

But I'm starting to worry that no matter what, there's going to be too many ways to rationalize this away when it should truly serve as a wake-up call to the dangers of CTE. If it turns out to be a Carradine situation, is everyone going to just say, 'Good thing we don't have to actually do anything anymore.'?
I agree with a lot of what you've said.

It was encouraging to see the reflective stance that some of the better hockey writers have taken after the news of Belak's death (guys like Friedman, MacKenzie and Dater off of the top of my head). It's still a little too early to know exactly what needs to be done, but there's no doubt in my mind that recent events should trigger significant research and some soul searching on the part of everybody who's close to hockey.

I think it's unfortunate that for whatever reason, the baseless speculation (since nothing of any value has been shown to support it yet) about the actual cause of Belak's death seems to have shifted some of the focus away from where I feel it should be.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote