Thread: Proposal: Ott/lak/buf
View Single Post
Old
09-04-2011, 03:34 AM
GerbeSonOfGloin

vCash: 500
Let me say that as a Buffalo fan, this could make sense for the Sabres. (Kings fans, another matter, of course, and I think the plausibility of any three-way trade is very low, regardless of value.) Considering the two best players moving in and out of Buffalo, most Sabres fans would accept a Vanek for Spezza swap. A top six centered around Spezza and Roy would be sweet. As for the others, we're swapping the better player in Hecht for younger and cheaper in Nick (and maybe some family connection with Mark in the system right now), and the loss of a solid but unspectacular top four d-man. Grags could move in full-time into the top six, we could a league minimum vet as our 7th dman - sort of like what we had in Nolan Pratt a couple of years ago - and the extra salary cap breathing room could allow for the acquisition of a forward or dman at the deadline, depending on what our needs are.

The only potential sticking points are that (a) Sabres in "win now" mode may object to parting with more roster players than are coming back. I think it's still worth it. (b) Leopold was a key piece in getting Regehr to waive his NTC and come here, so turning around and trading him right afterward seems like bad form. Sekera makes more sense for the Sabres - the recipient team may or may not agree, depending on whether they want the vet who's better right now but older and more injury-prone, and likely lower ceiling and (c) Kings probably won't trade Doughty no matter what. That last point is the most important and is probably why this won't ever go through, but it was a good effort nonetheless.