Old
09-04-2011, 12:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Lavalette View Post
I do like Murphy, but there are definitely factors working against him. One, obviously, is that he is undersized. Couple that with the fact that he hasn't been able to really separate himself from his competition the last two years — yes, he beat out Pogge, but it took him most the season and that's not exactly stiff competition — and that he's stuck behind Ward with the Canes, and it's hard to see him becoming a No. 1 goalie.
Agree with everything you're saying except for the last part. I honestly think that's more justification for a high-ish number but a "D" type rating.

And I'm not saying he'll beat out Ward... or that he even remotely has a shot at doing so. But how often over the past few years have we seen a goalie go from backup on one team to a legit starter elsewhere? Craig Anderson was stuck behind Vokoun until he moved to Colorado. Bryzgalov was stuck behind Giguere until Phoenix claimed him off waivers. Kipper was in the AHL until San Jose traded him for a draft pick. Halak was stuck behind Price in Montreal. Even Roloson was backup to Manny Fernandez before being shipped to Edmonton and emerging as a star. To me just because a goalie is stuck behind another established star in a system doesn't mean much to me in terms of their potential, especially as things stand anymore.

edit: man, who ever would have thought we'd be having this much discussion about a guy that is probably still about 2 seasons away from even being Ward's backup?

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote