View Single Post
Old
09-05-2011, 02:51 PM
vinzlol

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Lemme copy-paste what I wrote to a similar question on Habs Eyes on the Prize :

"I think you’re misinterpreting White’s role on the team. He is not there primarily to provide “energy”, to “stand up for his teammates”, to fight or to hit guys. He may provide all of this and some of these things certainly have real value, but the real reason White is on the Habs’ roster is because he has the ability to outplay opposing fourth liners.

Ryan White had an offensive zone start of 44.2% and positive Corsi (and impressively, an offensive zone end above 50% — notable for a guy who starts in the defensive zone so much). He only played against fourth-line opposition, true. He maybe can’t handle strong opposition, but against the bottom of opposing rosters, he helps push the puck in the right direction. And while that’s not something that will make him a star, it’s something that has nontrivial value to a hockey club."

Jacques Martin is a canny coach; he recognizes the importance of outplaying the other guys, and the lack of importance of dropping the gloves. He's not going to turn a useful hockey player into a goon.
Great post.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was afraid most believed he was there to be a goon.

It's good to hear you all have intelligent insights on the kid.

Will White still be considered a rookie next season ?

vinzlol is offline   Reply With Quote