View Single Post
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
The thing you label as the worst thing to do is the correct way to receive a ring. The idea is to be a stick length from the wall, you need to do a shoulder check to see what level of pressure you are under. Because the puck will hug the wall you have a chance to check for pressure. Once you receive it on your stick you can make your play without making a second move or a second touch. If you are under too much pressure to receive the ring on the stick you can take the bump, play the puck with your feet and wait for help.
Are we talking about the same thing here?

It's fine to be standing a little bit away from the boards (that's what I do), but if you're facing the side boards what are you going to do with the puck? You can't see what's happening because your face is in glass, and by the time you look to see what's happening you're covered. When I learned to play we were told that it's better to skate for the puck than it is to stand and wait for it to get to you, and that you shouldn't keep your back to the play on a breakout unless you're quickly turning.

As a left shot on LW, I'll try to control a hard ream up the boards on my backhand while skating forward, or turn into the boards to receive the puck and quickly skate down low before curling and making a pass or clearing.

It's hard to explain in words.

If you make a play with your ass to the wall and try to make a skate to stick touch you lose valuable time, cannot make a quick move and the puck can end up in the slot for a prime scoring chance.
If you read my entire post, you'll notice that I suggest grabbing the puck with your feet moving. Hard to do anchored against the boards with your butt against the wall, but for a beginner it is a good strategy, and it's what many coaches and hockey schools teach.

The only condition i would not advocate taking a ring with the stick is if the skill level is low. The risk of injury does go up and there is little to be gained.
I would figure that someone trying to figure out how to position themselves on a breakout is playing at a low level.

Watch the pros - most of them are not spending time trying to kick the puck to their stick. They are either receiving the ring and making a play, protecting the puck under heavy pressure or chiping past a pinching d.
I do watch the pros. They generally try to stand parallel to the boards so as to be able to keep an eye on the entire zone. They can see what's ahead of them and what's behind them.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote