View Single Post
Old
09-05-2011, 05:48 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
That survey was conducted last winter, I wonder if the results would be as clear cut after this summer.

Also, before completely banishing it, there are intermediate steps we could take. For example, getting rid of the "staged fights". I don't know what percentage of all fights are staged, but it's certainly a significant portion. Also, if the argument is for heath reason, then it makes sense to first get rid of the goons, as they are the most susceptible of long-term health problems related to fighting (since they end up fighting way more than the average player).

How to remove staged fights - bow that's a completely different question...

What you posted above is the reason why I shake my head in disbelief over a lot of the anti-fighting posts.

The "goons" that you are referring to are not being forced to fight. They fight because they love it and it provides them a paycheck.

You would have a valid point if the "goons" were led into the arenas kicking and screaming against their will because they have to fight. Sorta like the gladiators going up against the lions in the old Coliseum in ancient Rome.

But watch these guys. They enjoy the fighting. And watch Ryan White. He is not a goon and he loves a good scrap. Do you remember the huge smile on his face in the penalty box after he whipped Boychuck's ass?

You have every right to hate fighting on the ice or in real life. Its your choice to never engage in a fight. However, you need to understand that a lot of hockey players do not mind fighting and understand the reasons that they do it without complaint.

Projecting your beliefs onto the sport of hockey when the participants engaging in the actual sport disagree with you is absurd.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote